A private island oasis with year-round access via a separate mainland property
This extraordinary setting consists of:
- a Tudor style 1900 vintage residence with magnificent views from every room.,
- a separate guest cottage with 2 bedrooms & 2 baths, kitchen, fireplace, & living room.,
- a boathouse with a large game room, bedroom & full bath
- a tranquil teahouse with meeting room & bedroom
- a stunning gunite pool ( 25 x 75 ), deep water dock, shed & professionally landscaped property, & your own private beach
- Protected harbor w/stone sea wall and
- a mainland garage/cottage and room for ample parking.
Rich in history, legend and lore, this utterly unique property was first inhabited by European settlers in 1651, witnessed the British invasion of Norwalk in the Revolutionary War, housed Lillian Hellman in 1938 as she finished her classic “The Little Foxes”, and, as rumor has it, served as a setting for several notorious parties given by its then owner, Billy Rose, the legendary showman. Historically significant, conveniently located within one hour of Mid-Town New York, serenely removed from the every-day yet entirely accessible, this is one residential offering that actually lives up to the designation "unique". This lovely island property has not been offered for sale in over thirty years.