Middle Calf Island is an approx. 64-acre uninhabited private island, situated off the West Cork coast, between Schull and Cape Clear Island. Located between West Calf and East Calf Islands, it features the ruins of four dwellings and outbuildings and many stone walls.
The island does not have a pier but has beautiful beaches and a number of small lakes are dotted around the island.
In the past, six families lived a self-sufficient life on the island and a school was set up there in 1835, which was also attended by pupils from neighbouring communities. In 1841, the population of the island was 39. The last family left the island in 1937.
It is currently being farmed and is home to a herd of approx. 25 Kerry Bog Ponies, which grazes year round on the island. It was also previously grazed by sheep.
Outline Planning Permission for the reconstruction of a ruined dwelling for use as a dwelling and reconstruction of outbuildings for ancillary use had been granted but has now expired.